- General information
As customers/visitors/users, you do not have to submit any personal information in order to use the website. This website only collects personal information that is specifically and voluntarily provided by customers/visitors/users. Such information may consist of but is not limited to, your name, current job title, company address, email address, and telephone and fax numbers.
Protecting customers’ / visitors’ / users’ data and using it only in the way our customers / visitors / users expect from us is our highest priority. This policy is designed to inform you about the processing of your Personal Information and your rights regarding this processing according to the Protection of Personal Information Act No. 4 of 2013 (“POPI”) and other data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation: Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) where applicable.
1.2 Responsible party
The INTERACTIVE SCIENCE FOUNDATION is the Responsible Party according to POPIA and is therefore responsible for the data processing.
1.3 Information officer
You can contact our Information officer at any time by using the following contact details:
Phone: +27 21 300 3200
- Processing of personal data during your use of our website
Your visit to our website and/or use of our online services will be logged. The IP address currently used by your device, date and time, the browser type and operating system of your device, the pages accessed, and additional data may be recorded. This data is collected for the purposes of optimising and improving our website as well as our online services. The processing is legally based on legitimate interest as it is in our legitimate interest to protect our website and to improve the quality of our services. Additionally, your personal Information is only stored if you provide it to us on your own account, e.g. as part of a registration, a survey, an online application, or for online purchase (performance of a contract). We have taken appropriate measures to ensure that the data provided to us during the registration is adequately protected. These measures include, but are not limited to, encryption, access control, segregation of duties, internal audit, etc.
- What personal Information do we collect?
We will only collect, use, store, and transfer the minimum personal information that we deem necessary to process for ordinary business purposes. Personal information we collect from you may include:
- your first and last or company name, email address, phone number, and other contact information;
- log-in and account information for authentication purposes and account access;
- your marketing preferences;
- demographic data such as your gender, age, country, and preferred language;
- data about how you and your PC or device interact with us, including web pages you visit when you use our websites and device, connectivity, and configuration data.
It is not standard practice for us to collect sensitive personal information about you, such as information relating to your health, religion, political beliefs, race, or sexual orientation, except with your express consent or unless we are required to do so by law.
If we link other data with your personal information as provided to us, we will treat that linked data as personal information.
- Data recipients
We may use third-party service providers to process your personal information. These service providers may be located in or outside of South Africa or in countries within and outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). If you are based in the (EEA), this will mean that your personal information may be transferred to, accessible from, and/or stored at, a destination outside the EEA in which data protection laws may not be as comprehensive as in the EEA. We ensure that these service providers process Personal Information in accordance with European data protection guidelines or legislation to guarantee an adequate data protection level, even if Personal Information is transferred into a country outside the EEA for which no adequacy decision of the EU Commission exists. Transfers of personal Information to other recipients is not performed, except where we are obliged to do so by law. For more information about appropriate safeguards for the international data transfer or a copy of them, please contact our Information officer.
- Retention period
The INTERACTIVE SCIENCE FOUNDATION will retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which this data was collected and any other permitted linked purpose. Personal information provided to us via our website will only be stored until the purpose for which it was processed has been fulfilled. Insofar as retention periods under commercial and tax law must be observed, the storage period for certain data can be up to 5 years. However, storage periods may also be amended due to our legitimate interest (e.g. to guarantee data security, to prevent misuse or to prosecute criminal offenders). Our retention periods are also based on our business needs and good practice.
- Your rights
As a Data subject, you can contact our Information officer to make use of your rights. A Data subject has the following rights:
- The right to receive information about the data processing and a copy of the processed data;
- The right to demand the rectification of inaccurate data or the completion of incomplete data;
- The right to demand the deletion of Personal information;
- The right to demand the restriction of data processing;
- The right to receive the Personal information concerning the Data subject in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to request the transmittance of this data to another controller;
- The right to object to the data processing;
- The right to withdraw consent at any time in order to stop the data processing that is based on your consent;
- The right to file a complaint with the competent supervisory authority: the Information regulator.
We are required to take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information remains accurate. In order to assist us with this, please let us know of any changes to the personal information that you have provided to us by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not satisfied with our use of your personal information or our response to any exercise of these rights, you have the right to complain to the relevant supervisory authority.
- Children’s privacy protection
We understand the importance of protecting children’s privacy in the online world. This website is not designed for or intentionally targeted at children 18 years of age or younger. It is not our policy to intentionally collect or maintain information about anyone under the age of 18.
- Validity and document management
This document is valid as of 28 June 2021