Code4CT is an 18 month programme for high potential girls that introduces them to coding, creative problem solving and possibilities in the tech industry. Coding is a sought after skill in today’s workplace. The programme equips young women with an understanding of how technology is created and the ability to code, with the intention that they can take this skill with them into any field they chose to pursue.
The programme consists of:
● A two week introductory holiday programme for Grade 10 learners in their July school holidays.
● Saturday classes in Term 3 and 4 of Grade 10 where learners gain proficiency in front end web development.
● A range of optional modules in their Grade 11 year to develop specialist skills from user experience design to game development.
● The opportunity to attend mentoring events with leading females from the tech industry.
● The opportunity to gain experience working on projects in local companies.
● The opportunity to be linked to potential bursaries & post school opportunities in STEM fields.
Code Week: 4-9 July 2016
Venue: Cape Town Science Centre (370B Main Road, Observatory)
Participants: Grade 10 female learners (20 per venue)
Cost: R2680 (includes tuition, catered lunch & snacks, branded apparel + annual membership to CTSC)
To sign up: code4ct.com/code-week/
Code Week is an intensive learning experience for Grade 10 female learners who are interested in learning to code and using technology for innovation. A summary of what the week will entail:
● Creative Problem Solving: Learn how to apply the Design Thinking process to tackle complex problems creatively and develop innovative solutions.
● Industry insight: Hear presentations from local companies who are using technology innovatively.
● Network: Meet like minded girls who are interested in using technology to create change in South Africa.
Code Camp: 10 – 16 July 2016
Venue: Groote Schuur High School, Claremont
Participants: Grade 10 female learners who have attended Code Week.
Cost: R4600 (includes 6 nights of accommodation, catered meals and snacks, branded apparel)
To sign up: code4ct.com/code-camp/
Code Camp is an opportunity for participants of Code Week to attend a residency camp where they will use the skills they developed in Code Week to build a mobile application for a client. A summary of what the week will entail:
● Creative Problem Solving: Work to develop an innovative solution to a real-life challenge posed by a client.
● Industry insight: Top local companies will tell you how they are using technology innovatively.
● Leadership: Engage in a range of fun evening workshops that will help you develop as a young leader.
In order to qualify to apply to Code4CT, applicants need to:
● Be in grade 10
● Take Pure Maths
● Have no current commitments that fall on a Saturday
● Hold a satisfactory academic record