Become SA’s Biotech Ambassador & WIN a trip to Japan in November!
Categories: What's on
WORLD BIOTECH TOUR
The World Biotech Tour (WBT) is a multi-year initiative that will bring biotechnology to life at select science centres and museums worldwide. The programme, supported by the Association of Science-Technology Centres (ASTC) and Biogen Foundation, is scheduled to run from 2015-2017.The WBT ambassador program enlists students to give presentations about dynamic biotechnology topics in their schools and communities to inspire others to get involved. As ambassadors interact with other international students through ASTC-hosted online exchanges. The program has allowed youths a unique view into STEM careers and valuable access to scientists and industry leaders from around the world. See updates from the ambassadors on Facebook and Twitter @biotechtour.
This programme is open to all interested learners in Grades 9-12. The first 15 applications will be accepted and will be on a first come first served basis.
How you can apply to be part of this ambassador programme?
1 Research phase
Use a biotechnology INVESTIGATION you have conducted within the past year OR write 3-5 page RESEARCH essay on an ASPECT of one of the topics listed below. In both cases all references must be included. (If you would like this work to be checked please contact the CTSC who will connect you with a mentor).
2 Presentation phase
PRESENT your investigation/research essay in a FAMELAB format at the CTSC on 10 and 11 June 2017
What is FAMELAB?
“You will have three minutes to present your biotechnology project to a panel of judges. Make it funny, make it dramatic, and make it jaw-dropping, eye-opening, lightbulb-poppingly brilliant. It’s entirely up to how creative you’re feeling. The judges are looking for somebody who can shine in content, clarity and charisma (in other words it has to be scientifically accurate, clear to understand and presented with a wink and a smile).”
Other rules that you might need to know about are:
– you may NOT use PowerPoint
– PROPS are limited to what you can carry on stage (there is no time for set up)
• Registration forms due by 26 May 2017
• Research days at the Cape Town Science Centre – 31 May & 7 June 2017
– 10 June 2017 – Cape Town Science Centre
– 09-11 June 2017 – Sci-Bono, Johannesburg
– 10-11 June 2017 – Sci-Enza, Pretoria
– 10-11 June 2017 – UniZulu, Richards Bay
• Top Learners will be sent to the Finals presentations in JHB – date TBC
• In Johannesburg an Ambassador will be chosen to represent the South Africa at the World Biotech Tour in Japan – Nov 2017
For more info and to apply download the Ambassador Application Form
(Registration forms due by 26 May 2017)